Friday, October 14, 2011

AT&T Activation of iPhone 4S = Epic Fail

I couldn't have been more ecstatic to receive my iPhone 4S today!  I even drove home at lunch (25 minutes each way) to pick up the delivery.  I am now moving on to hour 2 of trying to activate my shiny new iPhone 4S.  After looking on Twitter and other sites, I am not the only one experiencing these issues.  I ask myself many questions when this happens:
  • Apple can logistically get this mapped out and deliver on time with the great help of vendor partners (big shout out to UPS for knocking it out of the park and meeting expectations on the delivery time)!  This is a HUGE under taking but they always set expectations and meet them (...and always exceed with the hardware).
  • This is the 5th iPhone released by Apple.  I remember many who experienced this same issue on previous launch days.  I think AT&T should really have a lessons learned session.  Come on...5th release and you still can't get it right?
    • Let's also mention that many of the prior releases, the activation/server issue was not much cause of concern since AT&T had exclusive rights to the iPhone.  Now they have Verizon and Sprint to compete with. 
    • While some might argue that the sheer number of activations of AT&T compared to the volume of Verizon and Sprint are an explanation, I would have to disagree and refer you to the above bullet that this is AT&Ts 5th launch.
      • Preparation is always a better plan than Reaction.
  • Mixed Messages
    • One of the error messages tells me to contact Apple.  Knowing this is an AT&T issue, I decided to try that Apple to see what happened...'Please Activate Your iPhone' (See Above):
  • While I know I will be ecstatic when I can finally start chatting with Siri and using the magnificent camera but it makes me wonder what the point of pre-order is...AT&T knew the number of activations...PREPARE!
  • So...I will continue to stare at the screens below.  What a GORGEOUS paper weight my iPhone 4S will be until successful activation....



No comments:

Post a Comment