Sunday, May 22, 2011

White Noise Lite App Review





White  Noise Lite

I have never used white noise to help me fall asleep.  However, last weekend, I spent part of the day in Rockport, MA and Gloucester, MA by the ocean.  There is not a better sound to me than waves crashing and the sound of the ocean.  When I came back, the following evening, I really wanted to fall asleep to the sounds of the ocean.  I found several white noise apps in the App store.  I downloaded White Noise Lite, White Noise Machine and Sleep Pillow Ambiance Lite.  All have good features and are very similar.  I have found that I am using White Noise Lite because I like the sound of the Beach Waves on this App a little more than the other.  While I believe the White Noise Machine and Sleep Pillow have better UIs, I'm not concerned with UI when I'm using it to sleep.
I have found that I love falling asleep to this and have used it every night this week.  Now, if it would just spray out the smell of sea salt...it would be amazing ;)!

Pros

  • Free.  I have not found it necessary to upgrade to the paid version for $1.99.  The Lite version provides what I am looking for.
  • Custom Sleep Timer Set.  This App allows you to set the amount of time for the White Noise.  The timer can be set for up to 20 hours.  This also allows for the set up of fading out timing from none to 5 minutes.  This helps to ensure that you don't abruptly wake up when the timer is complete.
  • Sleep Screen.  The sleep screen is black with the clock in white.  This helps to limit the light from the iPhone display.
  • iPhone Alarm.  I utilize my iPhone as my Alarm clock.  Even though the App stays open when the Sleep Timer is completed, the internal alarm clock still works.
  • Sounds.  There is a good selection of sounds:
    • Beach Waves Crashing
    • Thunder Storm
    • Extreme Rain Pouring
    • Crickets Chirping
    • Grandfather Clock
    • Chimes Chiming
    • Oscillating Fan
    • Airplane Travel
    • Train Ride
    • White Noise
Cons

  • In order to keep the White Noise playing, the App has to be active.  This App does not allow you to multi-task.  While, it has the purpose of helping you sleep or relax, if you close the App to check email or work with another App, the noise stops.  It would be nice to have the continuous sound.

No comments:

Post a Comment