Thursday, June 30, 2011

iOS 5 - Beta 2 - Tips to Install and What's New

 This is a little late in review, as the second beta was released on Friday.  I was one that experienced some of the issues on getting the iOS 5 Beta 2 installed correctly the first time.  It is a Beta, so I certainly understand and expect issues.  For those that are having issues here are some tips that I learned.

Hints for installing the new Beta 2:
FIRST AND FOREMOST: Download the latest version of iTunes made available in the Developer site.  This must be done before downloading the Beta 2.
Once this has been done, Sync and Backup your phone.
Then install the Beta 2 and sync.
My phone reverted back to 4.3.3.  In order to fix this, I had to go into iTunes, And 'Option' Click on the Restore Button and locate the iOS 5 Beta 2 file to manually restore the phone.  Worked like a charm.
I followed that same process for my iPad.

What's New in Beta 2


Notifications have a new design.  They are aesthetically pleasing.  The below shows choices you now have to set up the Notifications and what a notification looks like.
 

iCloud has a new icon.

Backup to the Cloud in Setup.  You have the option when the phone starts to Backup to iCloud but there is an additional step.  You need to go to Settings to get this option enabled.  Just a small difference but provides the anticipation for iCloud and being PC Free.
WiFi Sync now works.  It was available with the first release but now it actually works.
Over the Air Updates.  While this is said to be available, I have had some difficulties but it is still relatively new, so it could be working.

I look forward to future releases and getting my Apple TV tomorrow to start testing out iOS 5 with that device!

No comments:

Post a Comment